Is compromise the best way to solve a conflict?

Is compromise the best way to solve a conflict?

It seems reasonable. It’s quick and easy. “Let’s make a deal,” you think, “we’ll do a little give and take. We’ll COMPROMISE!” And, in fact, it can be a wonderful way to get things resolved quickly when there’s a time crunch…

What’s a BATNA and why do I need one?

What’s a BATNA and why do I need one?

The “Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement” dubbed a BATNA by authors Fisher & Ury.  Why do you need one? If you are preparing to negotiate and you don’t know your alternatives you are more likely to agree to something…

Managing Conflict in the Workplace

Managing Conflict in the Workplace

I recently read an article about a survey conducted by an international consulting firm that concluded 85% of workers had experienced conflict on the job. My immediate response was that the other 15% were either in denial or had just…

Reflecting at APFM

I just returned from presenting “Mediation Mastery” at the Academy for Professional Family Mediators international conference in Denver, Colorado. The focus of the presentation was the importance of reflective practice–taking time while mediating and especially after to consider the positive…